View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You do not really need the Connect software.

The only situation when you do need the Conect software is when you use the Reader for the first time
1. To delete crap that came on the reader
2. to purchase books from The Connect store using your $50 credit

Ask a friend to let you to install the SW on his computer with english Windows. You connect the reader and remove the "demo" books, pictures and sounds that clutter the memory and the book list.
Then you can purchase books from the connect store using your $50 credit.

After that one single use just use a card reader and obtain your books elsewhere. I personally do it that way. Card reader costs about $10. Card reader works under old windows (like 98), under new Windows (Vista) under Windows 2000, under Linux, freebsd, mac OSX. The Conect software does not work on those systems at all and when it works it works very poorly.

The reader battery lasts a bit longer when you do not use memory card. So what? I can read for several weeks between charges. (unlike Iliad users [:evil grin:])
If you load rtf file using the card the Reader will need to analyze the file after opening. So what? It takes the Reader a minute or two to open the book and after that I spend many hours reading that book.

You can buy books from the Connect store if you use the Connect software. I personally strongly dislike the way the Connect purchased books are formated. There are MANY books freely available on the net.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote