View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #170
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I started my BBS on a CP/M S-100 bus machine with a PMMI modem in 1980 -- 600 bps, moved it to a clone of the Big Board from JLS computers with an added SASI interface for a 10MB hard drive and finally to a series of IBM clones running OS/2. The software went from CBBS to Maximus/2 with a few detours in between. In the detours, I learned more than I actually wanted to know about programming in BDS C for CP/M and Pascal for DOS. I got involved in Fidonet which cut down my LD phone bills but added to my stress -- herding cats at its finest. I finally shut the BBS down in 2002 as the tech support side which paid the bills for the BBS was being less and less used and the public side was down to 1-3 callers per day -- the 604 BBS list was down to less than 15 systems listed from it's peak of over 2000 systems when it was last published.

Very fond memories of people such as Ward Christensen, Randy Seuss, Steve Vinokuroff, Scott Dudley, Joe Frankiewicz. I'd better stop here as the list keeps getting longer.

Regards,
David
It sounds like you were a lot more into BBS's than me!

I recognise Ward Christensen's name, not because of his work with CBBS but rather for the XMODEM protocol. I implemented a version of XMODEM for Primos in the late 80's to help me transfer files to client's computers (prior to that we would send tapes around the country).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote