View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I edit the formatting of every ebook I purchase. There are lots of things about formatting that bother me (spaces between paragraphs, too big indents/margins/line-spacing, various problems with fonts and font sizes, and so on). I'm really OCD about those things. Very few books are formatted the way I like, and the formatting issues distract me terribly so that I'm unable to read the books without editing them first.

On the other hand I never bother with typos, repetitive phrases and the like. I can tolerate those in moderate amounts and if the amount is far from moderate I'll usually just ditch the book altogether. It would take far too much time to correct typos and phrasing.
How did you ever manage to read paper books in the days before ebooks became widespread? I'm thinking how long it would take to make a photocopy of the whole book, enlarged or shrunk for text size, then each line cut apart to create more space, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
So, it seems to me that the lessons here (for writers) are:

Reserve the word "panties" for use in dialogue by a person that you want your readers to find annoyingly cutesy or condescending.

Any other phrase you use for underwear (is "underwear" universally safe?) is bound to annoy someone, so either avoid referring to such garments, or flip a coin to find out who you want to annoy in this book.
I consider "underwear" a generic term for any male/female undergarments. Pretty much the only time I ever hear the word "panties" in real life is in the expression "don't get your panties in a wad".
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote