View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjameson View Post
I ask because I just fumbled about and set both calibre libraries to the same directory in dropbox, but i noticed a conflicted copy of the metadata file and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to screw things up this way.
I have used dropbox to sync between two Windows machines for about 4 years. There are two things you must always be aware of. Doing either of these two items can cause conflicted copies resulting in possible loss of updates or edits.

1.) It is imperative that you do not run calibre from both machines at once.

2.) When you move from one machine to another it is critical that you let Dropbox fully sync and bring files up to date before you start calibre. Starting calibre prior to Dropbox fully syncing may cause any updates you did on one machine not to be reflected in your second machine. When you run calibre before Dropbox is fully sync'd is when you end up with conflicted copies as Dropbox was unable to update the local copy because it was in use.

A third item to be aware of is that on occasion when converting Dropbox and calibre attempt to use the same file at the same time. This usually happens during bulk conversions so if I submit any mass conversions I will pause syncing prior to running the conversion jobs. When the jobs are complete I will resume syncing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjameson View Post
Also, one is a PC and one is a MAC - am I just asking for trouble??
I can't speak to the specifics of the differences between file systems that might cause a conflict between the two OS's.

I'll let other folks talk to the two OS's and alternative ways of syncing your libraries.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-08-2013 at 01:31 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote