View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would recommend you install the distro package (which is kept up-to-date) over the AUR package (which is calibre-git) but this bug has still not been fixed -- I am rather disappointed.
That bug is symptomatic of the general problem with linux distros. Their maintainers all have this crazy, completely non-scalable, attitude that they can maintain their own personal modifications to tens of thousands of upstream packages without breaking anything. It's why I stopped working with distro maintainers a long time ago.

Linux desktop distributions all need restrict themselves to base system software and let all "end-user" software be distributed by the software vendors, as happens on every other sane operating system on the planet, including the most successful variant of linux, Android.

Unfortunately, for that to happen, the distro maintainers need to get their acts together long enough to agree on a common package format for binaries, which is about as likely to happen as hell freezing over.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote