View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #197
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I currently live in Peru, but have dual residency both here and in the U.S.A. I lived for 30 years in a southern state and (before Peru) in Cincinnati for 10 years. Here is my observation about reading and literarcy, based upon my own experience (too, I'm a teacher), one not verified by any scientific studies:

1) Peru is a third-world country. Reading is a luxury, since so many millions of people are simply trying to survive from one day to the next. Reading snobbery isn't much of a concern, since so few people read here. The one's who do read are the educated (those educated in a formal schooling environment.)

2) The southern state I lived in for more than 30 years is a farm state. It's a poor state. Reading is important to some but, as mentioned, it's a state that is poor and it's a state that relies mainly upon farming as well as tourism. The farmers lead hard lives just surviving. Reading snobbery is not relegated to a genre; rather, many people in the Ozarks have no use for reading at all. They see nothing in it. (Again, I must emphasize that I'm speaking of my own experience, and am not attempting to condemn or make conclusions about a group of people.)

3) The mid-western state I lived in for 10 years (city: Cincinnati) seems to have much more literacy and a greater number of literate people. As a collector of books, it was a goldmine to live there. I found typed manuscripts [not carbons] of such writers as Robert Silverberg and William Tenn. I found collectible - and valuable - books all over the place. The place 'reeked' of literacy. Cincinnati was more sophisticated and the literacy level more pronounced - again, in my experience of having lived there for 10 years.

Here's a question I pose:

Does location play a part in reading snobbery?

My answer is 'Yes,' at least in my experience.

Perhaps your experience verifies this, as well? Or perhaps not for you?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote