View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
So they are going to educate by the lowest bidder?
Technically, I think it is up to the board what criteria they use. However, cynical as I am about this, it's inconceivable they will choose on price alone.

Despite posting with great assurance that I know what I'm talking about, you will undoubtedly agree with me that I may not. One confusion I have is that there already are free open source textbooks for many common courses. Most professors do not assign them. Why should they? If students can't afford the books, they can use reference copies most college libraries keep on reserve. We would gladly buy textbooks for our youngest now in college, but with a few exceptions that can be bought used for a couple dollars, he insists we not waste the money.

The budget for the California initiative is $25 million, or about $500,000 for each of the projected 50 books. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt this is enough to get books much better than the ones which are already free. We will see.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote