Thread: Classic Should I buy a Nook?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
I think most people find the NOOK's battery life to be quite reasonable. It can be prolonged through the simple steps of setting "Airplane Mode" (wireless disabled) and adjusting the LCD display to minimum brightness and to turn off quicker (mine's set to 10 seconds).

With those settings, the main power drain is page turning. Using smaller fonts helps by reducing the number of page turns. A ballpark figure is that you'll get maybe 1000-2000 page turns on a battery charge. At a medium font size, that's about one average-sized novel (hey, these are ballpark figures, okay?)

There are some folks who read two novels a day, and they complain about the battery life. I don't know how much better life they'd find on other readers, although apparently the Kindle's battery does last longer.

I recharge my cell phone a whole lot more often than I recharge my NOOK, so I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote