View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
pd, actually it was fictionwise that got me started on this hunt for cheap mags.

First I looked at what they had to offer in the multi-format section, and saw that they have the four digests mentioned in the OP. Without doing too much research, it appeared that the current issue and the previous five issues of EQMM and AHMM are available for $2.99 each. That didn't sound so bad, but then I saw that a year's subscription to either is $29.97. That seemed high to me, so I went to google, and found the website I mentioned in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78877

That website showed that there are many mags whose annual subscription for hardcopy is only double or triple $2.99. So that $2.99 price didn't seem so reasonable anymore.

So as I mentioned in the other thread, I spent $17.05 for a year's subscription to the hardcopy EQMM. That's $1.71 each. I'm not someone who insists that any eBook I buy be less expensive than the pBook edition, but I felt that the difference between $2.99 and $1.71 was too great to pass up.

Now I see that Dell is unloading back issues for $0.75 each (more for foreign destinations). So assuming that I don't get too many duplicates with this most recent order, that 75 cents price makes $1.71 seem high. And of course, for something like short stories, a back issue is just as enjoyable as the current issue.

So when I get my order, I'll report back and let you know how many duplicates I received.

The point of these two threads is 1) everybody loves a bargain, and 2) the digital version of mags seem to be overpriced. Quite a number of folks here prefer eBooks to pBooks now, but for mags they will be paying a premium for that preference.

Last edited by GA Russell; 04-14-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote