Thread: jetBook screen
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #28
abrahaml
abrahaml began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook
I admit I am quite amazed at how many readers many MR members own. For me, that is quite out of my budget. When budget constraints arise, one is often forced to choose the best compromise. For the time being, given the price I paid for the jetBook ($120 before tax+ship) I am well satisfied. It's adequate and will serve me well, I hope, for many years. By no means did I expect this to be the ultimate solution.

I expect e-ink to be the ultimate solution.

However, e-ink is also obviously not perfect, and this LCD is fine as a stop gap measure. But make no mistake, the two technologies are quite different, and the original point of my posts was to illustrate the differences.

The directionality of LED lights is controlled by the design of the reflector. That is the key. I'm not sure there are any truly good book light designs compatible with the jetBook. I can handle the color temperature but I can't stand the little 2" spotlight with 3" halo.

BTW, it occurs to me that hand held consoles must have been using LED backlights for quite a few years.

Last edited by abrahaml; 08-22-2009 at 01:43 PM.
abrahaml is offline   Reply With Quote