View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
PDFs are snapshots of pages - so they preserve the original text accurately.

With reflowable formats, there seem to be more typos and other errors. So while they are better presented, the actual content is inferior.

I don't think I've read any reflowable format ebook (freebie or commercial) that didn't have more errors than the PDF or pbook equivalent.

As an example, I've recently bought 'The Pillars of the Earth' commercial ebook, it's a great read - but I've encountered more 'typos' than I would expect to see in a pbook (or a PDF version).
If, though, the text is produced and stored electronically, there's really no reason that should be. The process of format conversion per se shouldn't introduce errors into the text, should it?

It sounds, from what you say, almost as if some publishers are using an OCR process to produce their eBooks, which sounds a little bizarre!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote