View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
When reading a book on a kinlde is displays a location. When reading a book on the nook it is displayed as a page number. Now when can get into semantics about the compressions etc etc. the fact remaisn is how does it look when reading, despite the fact that is may have the same scheme, they appear different.

I took the OP's questions as what e readers dispaly the pages as page numbers and that is what the nook does, the kindle for example displays positions.

they may be the exact same thing behind the scenes scheme but they are displayed different. One as a page number one as a location.

that is how I took the OP.
I am in complete accord with you. The only point I was disagreeing about was the statement that ADE page numbers are based on the pagination of printed editions; that's not the case.

Having both ADE devices and a Kindle, my personal preference is for the Kindle's locations, due to their finer granularity. As you know, an ADE page will generally extend over several "screens" on a reader, so giving someone a page reference won't ensure that they're looking at the same text that you are. The finer-grained locations on the Kindle generally don't have that issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote