View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
...but it has been repeatedly proven that paper books, especially because pages are in 3 dimensions, take advantage of our spatial memory, thus helping us better remember what we read. The screen that refreshes when turning pages also confuses the brain and diminishes the memorization of the last read lines.
I've been reading on e-ink screens for about 2 years now, but I can't say I have this problem. I don't remember anything better or worse compared to reading a book; I only read a bit faster, because the "print" is better and (on the Paperwhite or other front-lit reader) the page can be brighter.

The only thing I CAN'T obviously do with an e-reader is remember WHERE I read something if I need to look for it. In a book, I could say something like: "I read it over here, somewhere", and then open the book at around 25% or so. When using an e-reader, I'd have to take a look at the page number (seeing 472), and then jump to "page" 120, and after that, start flipping back and forth.

In a real book, this is much faster. Therefore, if studying something and needing more than one book, I either prefer paper books, or a computer if the information is electronic. I won't ever use an e-reader or tablet for that, because I'd need to have a device per book I'm using.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote