View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Sorry about that.
No worries.

Quote:
I look forward to your review when you try footnotes in a sideloaded Discworld epup.
I've rented two Discworld epubs from my local eLibrary service: "The Colour of Magic" and "Guards! Guards!". I've had a quick look at "The Colour of Magic" and there only appears to be one footnote, early on in the book, with the footnote appearing at the very end of the book. Is this how footnotes normally work on epubs?

Quote:
I don't think your solution is very worthwhile (just for footnote navigation). Unless they do an extremely good job of implementing it. They will need to:

1) provide pinch to zoom
2) be able to reliably click on the link
3) a quick way to get back to the previous font size
and
4) they need to implement this for epub (I'm willing to ignore all the other formats).

The Touch has been out for over a year, and this hasn't been a high priority so far. By the time they do implement it, they will be on an Android based firmware, and new reader software, and the cycle will start all over again.
Absolutely agree with you on all points. I don't suspect my recommendation to be implemented on the Glo / Touch, but for future models, it makes sense to allow the user to use a pinch-to-zoom feature to adjust font size, as I believe some of the smartphone eReader apps do.

Quote:
And FWIW, I read with the font slider at 50%, and have given up on traversing footnotes. The footnotes I try to click on are usually just a "*", which I'm sure just exasperates the problem. How about an alternate solution: a menu option that provides a list of the footnotes on the current page (along with surrounding text).
Brilliant idea! Footnotes are often attached to a bit of text, so this could be a solution that works with the existing technology. Not sure about how footnotes are coded, though, so there could be an issue there...
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote