View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
...Having said that, they may not be bothered about it at all, so I think you should ask them and see what they have to say.
I'll flick them an email and ask, although noting the scale of the site I doubt they would have a problem with it - they're already way above the radar.

Quote:
The major technical issue I can see them having is the potential for thousands of users to bombard your site to get eBooks and your grabber then making thousands of requests to their server to retrieve the text for them. They'd be worried about getting flooded.
Trust me, this won't be an issue - fanfiction.net is massive (hundreds of thousands of users, millions of stories). My server would choke and give up long before ff.net would even start to worry. And my server should handle thousands of requests without breaking a sweat, it's pretty lightly loaded at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
We'll provide an API to directly upload books to Feedbooks. Would be fairly easy for FanFiction.net to add support for this on their website, all new fics would be automatically uploaded to Feedbooks and available in all the formats that we support.
I think this is a great idea, although I'm not sure if they would go along with it - they like to maintain control of the content they host, in case someone asks them to take it down. Maybe if your API also had a 'takedown' feature so the submitter could also remove their content?

It may also be worth considering the scale of the service... fanfiction.net has a LOT of content!

Last edited by erayd; 07-06-2008 at 10:24 PM.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote