View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Dymocks Australia is selling an encrypted PDF version of Hal 1 for ... $23.95. That's one of the reasons I worked so hard to convince my publisher that 'free' was a better pricing point for ebooks.
I know Cory Doctorow is quoting someone else, but I think he's got it right in his latest, "Little Brother" - it isn't piracy that's the problem, it's obscurity. Amazon boasts of having over 100,000 titles; eReader.com and Fictionwise are each claiming around 30,000 titles. In all that congestion, it's hard enough to find new works by authors I *do* like. And if it's a new author which - for whatever reason - these sites don't 'promote' on their main page, there's a good chance I won't hear about them. Add in dealing with an absurd ebook format such as PDF and the publisher and author can kiss a sale to me "goodbye".

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote