View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #17
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
What touches me more of the novel, over the humor, the prose and the themes that Forster addresses, is that it makes me think about myself, about where I stand, personally, on essential issues.

Two episodes, among many, touched me rather strongly. I quote them here.

A)... Because my job's Education. I believe in teaching people to be individuals, and to understand other individuals. It is the only thing I do believe. ... I mix it up with trigonometry ...

B) Nothing can be performed in isolation. All perform a good action, when one is performed, and when an evil action is performed, all perform it.
... Good and evil are different... But they are both aspects of my Lord. He is present in the one, absent in the other, and difference between presence is great, ... Yet absence implies presence, absence is not non existence, and we are therefore entitled to repeat come, come, come, come.

A) I am an educator also, although it is quite irrelevant. Reading this I realized that it is exactly so that I have been trying to shape myself. When I read it, I felt a big wave of contentment. Because individuals connecting with individuals is Forster core, and I felt a great unity with him, as it is also my core.

B) Very neat. The mistic Oriental counterpart of Westerner Forster. The whole episodes is a gem of clarity and a meaningful symbol. The unity, invoked by mrs. Moore, by the professor that pins it down to the woman and the wasp. Beyond his understanding. The unity, that is the contact, the joining, that is impossible.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote