View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Okay! Everybody has different opinions and a right to express those opinions. Jon has a tendency to be direct with little sugar coating, thus his responses. In his defense, he is trying to be as precise as possible because so many people come on to MobileRead for answers to their ereading questions and be accurate with descriptions is important.

As for eink clarity on the 600: If you are used to the 505 and expect the display to be the same on the 600, you will be disappointed. However, the display is considerably better on the 600 than the 700 in a side-by-side comparison. There will always be some glare/reflection from a reflective surface such as glass, which occurs on all of the Sony Readers. However, it is less noticeable on the 505 than the 600 or 700. Because of the added layer of the touchscreen, the reflective qualities of the screen are greater on the 600 and the 700.

It is the crispness or darkness of the eink lettering that is really the issue. The 505's lettering is darker than that of the 600 but the 600 is darker than the 700. By eliminating the size of the gap between the touch screen and the eink display on the 600 by removing the light source, they have reduced the distortion which caused the more diffused display. I have had the 700 since last December and am very happy with the display. Yes there is some glare but it is manageable. I actually have more success reading in direct sunlight. It is reading indoors with an overhead light like a reading lamp that generally gives me the greatest problems but I just shift positions and am able to continue reading just fine. Although I love the 700, I have put in an order fro the 600 because I have mono-vision (one corrective lens to see near and the other to see far) and am hoping the darker lettering will cause less eyestrain.

Bottom line: if you don't need or care about the touch screen and your main objective is to have the clearest and darkest display, stick with the 300 or the 505.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote