View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Most of the drive-by are what's called "zero day exploits," which is to say, a brand new security hold that isn't in the AV definition files yet. You'll know if you get one, because stuff will be popping up on the screen, usually claiming to be anti-virus programs. A full scan probably won't detect it at that point. But an immediate system restore will usually get rid of it. Then do a full scan, and do another in a few days.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 should show you how to do a system restore. It can take while, but it's simple. Just be sure you pick a restore point earlier than the infection.
Wow, taustin, thanks. I made a screen shot of your instructions and now will have a plan the next time something comes up. (I went to the link too--it does look easy.) In fact, it (a virus) already happened a couple of years ago, this faux av program kept coming up, asking for $ to let go. I didn't know what to do. (And I ended up taking the computer off-line and using it as a word processor.) Now I do. Thanks so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I suspect it's more work than the OP was expecting or wanting, though
OP confirms your suspicion! lol (thanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Java has had a ton of security problems. Some have wondered if Oracle is trying to kill Java for some reason.
Thanks Fluribus. I attached a screen shot of the Java I've got. When I get the Java updates my av always warns me (not a comfortable feeling) about Java, but Java says its stuff make the computer do all this wonderful stuff. What do you think? I can remove the program but I don't want to if it's going to cause problems (obviously) with the computer's functioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	javascreenshot.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	103743  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote