View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #28
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’d like to nominate The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas, by Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, considered to be Brazil’s pre-eminent author. Harold Bloom has described him as "the supreme black literary artist to date."

This is the blurb from Goodreads:

One of the greatest novels of Brazilian Literature, Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas is narrated by a dead man who recounts the amorous misadventures of his unheroic life and explains his half-hearted political ambitions. While it is considered the first novel of Brazilian realism, its quirks seem refreshingly modern and make it unforgettably unlike anything written before or after it.

The novel is available at all the usual venues for under US$10, and it’s couponable at Kobo. I paid $4 for a copy with a current code.
I borrowed this from the library years ago, didn't get to read it, and forgot both title and author. I haven't exactly search high and low, but have had a look through some lists of Latin authors, couldn't find anything that rang a bell. Not strange I guess, since I couldn't remember more than that it was supposedly by one of the greatest authors from *some* latin-american country. And maybe something about potatoes?

I don't participate in the Literary Book Club, but still sometimes read the threads (always looking for ideas of books to read). Your description made me look the book up on Goodreads, and under Other editions, there it was: Epitaph of a Small Winner (I remembered the cover&title when I saw it). I guess the different titles may be why I haven't been able to find it. I think Machado de Assis was one of the authors I looked at.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote