View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
It really bugs me that the Vox wouldn't have half the reader functions of the Touch or the Kobo reader. Isn't it supposed to be a step up from those models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Think of what we have now as having version 1 of the Vox Kobo App.
It still comes down to having a very tiny company attempting to do what gigantic enterprises have the resources to do. I am not defending Kobo's rash tendency to release 0.5 instead of 1.0 (or surprise and delight everyone starting at 1.1 ...); yet Kobo does have an excellent track record of delivering a very solid product three months after launch.

So, it's bleeding edge in the meantime, sixty days out.

The good news is the device, once I settled in to use it as a colour ereader with tablet pretentions, does a pretty solid job as is. I have access to all my Kobo content, I can sideload additional ePub content, I have over-the-air access to ebooks from my local public library, the Kindle app works well ... and some other basics like Sudoku, the weather, some news apps (Bloomberg, CBC), really excellent browsing with Opera Mobile, Facebook (the app, not the link version supplied) and radio through TuneIn Pro ... hey, you know what? That's a heck of a package for $199.

I am confident some of the other goodies -- and I am thinking especially of better video handling -- will arrive in due course. And, absolutely, I'd be very pleased to see upgrades to the Kobo Reading app for tighter text personalization like we see on the Touch. On this last point I am very confident the Kobo elves are busy with their wrenches.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote