View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Not a stupid question at all. In fact in doing some more testing now I found a bit of a problem with the whole tags/shelves thing, and it is to do with the Goodreads API call I am using.

To get what shelves a book is currently on, I am doing an API call which gets your "review" for a book. It is all horribly unintuitive, but as I understand it what happens is that if you add a book onto one of your shelves (I believe one of the "to-read", "read" or "currently-reading"exclusive shelves), then Goodreads will create a "review" record for you. It is then this review record that is retrieved by my plugin to identify the shelves a book is on.

If you delete the book completely on Goodreads (as I just did in testing) then Goodreads deletes your review record. So this means the plugin can have no information about what shelves the book is on.

Now I think that is a flaw, so I have just changed the logic so that you do not have to have a book on your exclusive shelves for it to live on another shelf. I will update a new release in a few seconds...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote