View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo has released firmware version 4.24.15672. This is supposed to be a small group to start with. I don't know if they will expand that, or release another update in a couple of weeks. The timings might be related to when the new dictionaries are available.

The changes that I know of are:
  • New dictionaries
    • There is a mix of vendors, but for English, the dictionary is coming from Oxford University Press.
    • Translation dictionaries: Dutch-English, Dutch-French, French-Dutch
    • Swedish has been added.
    • Some of the new dictionaries will not be available until the 1st of October.
  • Support for custom dictionaries
    • Put them in directory .kobo/custom-dict
    • Dictionaries can be added for new languages. The dictionary names are derived from the file names.
    • I think this should be considered the same as the Beta features. Or the hidden options in the config file. It is from Kobo, but, at this point at least, it won't get the same support as the core features.
  • ToC and Annotations lists
    • Share window with tab at top to swap between.
    • Scrollbar added
    • Page number removed
    • Annotations list has new beta Notebook view
    • ToC structure has changed:
      • Space at start removed
      • Bigger indentation for each level
      • Current chapter shown as bold, rather than a tick.
  • "Check for updates" added to Device information page of the settings
    • At the moment, it triggers a full sync.
    • This has been done mainly because they get questions about how to check for updates.
Calibre support
For calibre, there are no changes except to bump the supported firmware version. I will be making this change ready for the next release. This will be the release of calibre 5.0. For those who do not want to update the calibre version, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the drivers.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-25-2020 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Fix comment about custom dictionary names.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote