View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't see how that affects this. Yes, the comments can be huge, but they are already put into the book when it is sent to the device (if the format supports it). That size might actually be why someone wants to fiddle with the comments. Maybe they want to clear the field when sending to the device as their device cannot display the comments or limit it to the first 500 characters. Or to strip the HTML from the comments because the device doesn't support them. For me, I want to be able to add the information that the the device doesn't display to the comments. Most of this is in custom columns, but I also add the rating which is a calibre standard column.

The only thought of two reasons that the comments field is not supported in the metadata plugboard. Firstly, not enough devices actually display the comments and hence it wasn't worth it. The other is the risk of broken HTML going into the field. But, calibre already has code that can be used to mitigate this (type incorrect HTML into the metadata editor and save it and then look at what is produced). I don't find either of these very compelling reasons for not including the comments in the metadata plugboard, so maybe I am missing some other reason.

As to user columns, they are great for the calibre library. If you want to store extra information about the books, in the library, they are probably the way to go. But, they are pretty much useless anywhere else. I don't know of anything other than Calibre Companion that uses them in any way.
I thought the whole purpose of the plugboard was to Jam data from other (unsupported) fields into a standard field , otherwise, the standard file name templates would suffice
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote