Thread: PRS-T2 Crashing the reader
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've had several e-pubs that freak out my e-reader. I generally use a Sony 650. Basically epubs can very easily crash an e-reader. I've often wondered why, but I haven't bothered to go to the lengths you did to isolate the problem. I find it much easier to convert to mobi and back to epub. That almost always fixes the problem. If that fails I convert to txt then back to epub. I've only ever had one occasion where that didn't fix it, God nows how as a txt should be stripped of almost all formatting.

Epubs are pretty advanced and easily make e-readers hiccup. Lits are even worse, and I presume that is because epubs are based on them.

I appreciate with highly formatted / indented texts like code, that may not work. But then again, it probably would. I suppose the code just uses a lot of tabs / indenting.

I laud your thoroughness, but I think the above approach is a much easier way to deal with the problem.

Incidentally, there is the option in Calibre to remove all formatting information. You might try that too. I do think returning your T2 was a bit drastic, though I concur that the new Sonys can sometimes be a bit flaky.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-14-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote