View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I always heard it came from the IBM JCL 'DD' (Data Description) statement; that's why dd's syntax is so odd, compared to other Unix/Linux commands.

Having worked with JCL in my sordid past, I think it's rather likely; the syntax is certainly similar.
Yeah, I used both of the common JCLs... I could punch a custom JCL deck with no reference card or cheat sheet, when most of the other programmers just did "cut and paste" without even understanding what they were doing or why. I even had a punch card machine in my basement and an ASR-33 teletype with paper tape punch in my living room, and a second telephone line that spent much of its time plugged into an acoustic coupler. For that matter, just how long *would* it take to download a 10GB 1080p SBS-Half 3D Stereoscopic feature length movie using bit-torrent protocol over a 300bps acoustic-coupled modem, anyway? We never even imagined such a thing "back in the day".

Does that make me an old-timer?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote