Thread: Sony or Nook?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #34
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Unlike some of my enthusiastic Sony friends, I wouldn't say the Sony PRS-x50 readers are absolutely perfect as is, and that I wouldn't change anything.

* You should be able to set the overlap on landscape page turns to zero. (The more common portrait mode is fine as it is, but in landscape mode page turns overlap about 1/3 page which annoys some folks)

* All of the PRS-x50 models could clearly use some extra optional fonts so you have several choices for the default font. I am surprised that Sony hasn't fixed this long ago. (There are lots of really nice high quality typefaces that are in the public domain, so it's not like it will cost them anything)

* There should be some way to optionally disable the touch-screen for page turns and use buttons only (while still automatically activating the touch screen when you select menus.) That way you could turn pages with buttons like the Kindle if you wanted greater battery life, and avoid problems in environments where the touch screen could be falsely triggered.

NEVERTHELESS . . .

All of these are fairly minor grumbles, and they haven't changed my mind about the choice I made in buying my PRS-650. I still think it's the finest e-ink based reader you can buy.

In fact, if you have been following this thread, you will notice a very consistent pattern -

Time and time and time again, when someone has used a Kindle, a Nook, and a Sony, they end up with the Sony.

There are a small number of exceptions, but about 90% of the time this seems to be true.
The things you'd like to change haven't bothered me so far. I habitually change all books to .lrf to close the font size gap that the Sonys have (see, I know a Sony fault )

* this way I haven't even noticed there are overlaps in landscape

* and I am able to controll the font in the same step. Normally I don't do it as I am perfectly ok with the Sony font

* Disableling the touchscreen hasn't even dawned on my either. The whole battery life debate holds no interest for me at all. Batterys have a lifetime of 400 charges. Even if I were charging weekly as opposed to the 2week cycle necessary for my reading habits that would give my reader an eight year lifespan. Not being the type who is backpacking in the middle of nowhere, prefering first class hotels, decent bathrooms and swimming pools to tents, holes in the mud and ponds, I am never short of electricity, too.

I can see, why someone should wish this things were different but they are fairly easy to work around/avoid.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote