View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #29
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I wouldn't expect Amazon to go too crazy chasing people using Calibre (or going after Kovid), they will never support it and might perhaps do a few more things to make it more difficult for Calibre but in the end it only increases their user base (and just cause someone uses Calibre doesn't mean they won't use Amazon anymore). I also don't think any of the other eBook people are likely to get to upset about Calibre, it's just more choice for consumers. There is no harm in loading & managing DRM-Free ebooks, some just prefer to push you to buy direct (ala Amazon).

Now going after pirates I can see as being a bigger concern for Amazon, Sony, Kobo, etc (anyone with an ebook store) or the publishers, pirating and DRM stripping is doing some harm there. DRM stripping isn't always done for pirating purposes but it does definitely enable pirating. Let's just hope that eBook popularity doesn't raise as quickly as MP3s did so the publishers can react a bit easier than the music industry did.

The music industry I think has learnt for the most part that DRM doesn't really work and only creates barriers to entry for consumers when piracy has virtually no barriers. These days ebook piracy does have barriers still and as long as they don't disappear or get flaunted too rampantly then hopefully we won't have a Metallica VS Napster style crackdown on any DRM stripping tools or other open tools.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote