View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
The extent of my experience with this author is his brief spoof in The Simpsons. It's the episode where he shows up with a bag over his head, the bag has a question mark painted on it

Anyway -- I'm going away on Monday and then again in March. So, I figure I'll have a lot of time to read. And I think I want to expand my horizons a bit. So, that's the reason behind my spamalot posts tonight

Anyway -- I was at Barnes and Noble today and my eye caught the cover of "Inherrant Vice" and then I found it available as an eBook (Only on Sony, not on Amazon, isn't that interesting?)

So I read the cover copy and it seems interesting enough. I've already dabbled in the more "literary" masters and been horribly depressed (see my take on Cormac McCarthy and "The Road.") I think I'm open to new suggestions again though.

So what do you all think of Pynchon? Or anything similar
Pynchon is worth the try but be fore warned that he can be very difficult to finish. I have read three of his books and am mixed on my opinion of him. He seems to write for literary critics and profs in Uni... However, he does show brilliance in his books. I think montsnmags made a good suggestion...try Cryling lot first before moving onto his big books.

Overall, I'd say he is overrated but he does make you think. As Rushdie wrote on a blurb on one of his books.....paraphrased of course....

Reading Pynchon is like watching a movie backwards where you do not know the plot, much about the characters or where the book is going but it is a hell of a ride.....

about sums him of for me.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote