View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I wonder if anyone edits their ebooks to change character names they find annoying?

But names are strange things. Firstly, people tend to have prejudices against certain names resulting from public and/or private associations. Writers can try to avoid (or take advantage of) public associations, but there's nothing we can do about private ones. Secondly, it's amazing what you can get away with if you're talented enough. I mean "Dumbledore", what sort of silly name is that? And what about "Pug"? I can't be the only person who saw that and thought of tiny, flat-faced dogs. Not sure how I happened to come up with wizards for both examples, but in both cases, in a very short time the name stopped seeming strange.
I just meant that when writing not only do you want the character's dialogue to fit both them and the story but for their names to evoke a reaction as well. I mean can you imagine a garbage collector named Pierre for example? That name evokes the spirit of France and a romantic leading man (at least in my mind) and likewise a boxing champ named Tiny doesn't match up very well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote