View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
"Ideal" Kindle 2 PDF page size

I've been experimenting a bit with an 'ideal' page size for self-created PDFs.

I've attached the sample that seemed to work best: 8.5 cm wide x 11.4 cm tall and 0 margin. Kindle adds a bit of margin - and it appears that the content is zoomed to fit width, and centred both horisontally and vertically. Horisontal centering looks odd if you only have a short paragraph left on the 'page' (last page of my sample).

The zoom-to-fit also affects the size of the fonts - but I think I've come pretty close to a PDF page size that displays the fonts in a size that matches actual print size (in vertical view).

Since there's little margin top and bottom, I made another sample 1 cm shorter (8.5x10.4 cm). This also seems to work okay if you like a bit more margin top and bottom.

On the first page I drew a box along the edges of the 'paper', so they're 'visible' - and if you shift back and forth between page 1 and 2 on the Kindle, you can compare font sizes and 'margins'

The font is calibri and font size is 12 pt.

On a final note; if this is the way PDFs work on the Kindle DX, I fully understand why the PDF implementation on this device is considered 'basic' It's okay for my needs, but it ain't great.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8,5x11,4cm.pdf (35.7 KB, 8892 views)
File Type: pdf 8,5x10,4cm.pdf (35.8 KB, 4530 views)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote