View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #74
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Let me explain a couple of things.

I own a brand new Onyx BOOX M92 "Black Pearl" from ArtaTech which was delivered not even a week ago. Everything I say is based on my own experience.

In my previous post, I gave two web links to two covers in the ArtaTech's shop. Contrary to what "Maurice13" writes, the cheapest one is definitely NOT available for 19 Euro (just "click" the links yourself).
Note: one cannot find any information about weights of these covers -> well, the M92 devices itself is "pretty heavy", so I don't really want to add another "brick" to my wallet. I've seen some light (about 90 grams) neoprene covers, originally designed for the Apple iPad 2, and I think I will get one of these.

All written documents explicitly say ... 12 months warranty (I mean the documents that came with my device as well as these on ArtaTech's web pages).
The additional 12 months in the EU, that "Maurice13" mentions, are NOT a warranty -> as written by "mSSM", this only covers situations in which YOU can PROVE that there was something broken in your device from the very beginning (i.e. your device was defective upon arrival but you did not notice it up to now) -> it does NOT cover situations in which your device had been working o.k. and then simply broke.

According to "Maurice13", new devices from ArtaTech should come with TWO voices, one English and another one of one's choice. My device came with Polish only. Nobody asked me whether I wanted another language instead.
I would be very grateful if someone ("Maurice13"?) could point me to any place where I can download MY FREE VERSION of the "English Amy" (well, it's a one week old device, so I should have got it inside, in the first place).
I would also be happy to remove "Polish Agnieszka" from my device and install another language instead. "German Gretel" (or "German Hänsel"), please.

I don't know of any ArtaTech web page / shop which currently offers any additional voices / languages for 6.5 Euro. I took my 35 Euro estimation from a post in another forum (in which people were also asking how to get additional voices but there were no definite answers, just some ideas where one could try to get them from).

What concerns cloud services. I don't really care about "GoogleDrive", "Storino", nor the future "Dropbox" (the clouds that I might be interested in are not supported) -> I listed the two currently existing options so that people know what they can expect from the device NOW.

In my previous post, I gave a web link to the "Bookstore" shop. Just "click" it and see it yourself that it exists in Polish only (there's no button to switch to another language at all).
On my M92 device, I am using English as the "Language Locale Setting" and I still get all entries in "ONYX - Aktualnosci", "Categories" and "Recommendations" frames in Polish (note: I'm not talking about the language of the application itself but about the language of the "shop", also prices are always in Polish zloty only).
Note also: even if I use English, I might like to get books in another languages and there's no way to search the "shop" for books in a user specified language.

Last but not least ... the firmware.
Soon after I started my device for the first time I noticed that many things do not work properly. So I immediately (just several hours after I opened the box for the first time) installed the newest official ArtaTech's update ("Version 1.7 20120927"). But things were still bad. So ... while desperately looking for a solution, I found the Booxtor's firmware. I immediately noticed that I was NOT able to install it due to ArtaTech's firmware obstructions. Finally, I found the web page with the Mixed Firmware for I62/I62e/I62HD/A62/A62s/M92/M92s ArtaTech devices. Things are much better now, though still far from being perfect.

These are the facts.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-29-2012 at 04:56 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote