View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ok, I've only read 1/3rd of this or so, but that's IT. I'm done with it. Despite excellent writing, and superb narration (Frederick Davidson), there is no way I want to read this book. I find it offensive, disgusting, and not how I want to spend my precious reading time. (Yes, I know, it's a product of it's time. Got that. And yes, I know all about the evils of the colonization of Africa by various European powers. Enough to know that the Belgians took those evils to new lengths.) I don't need to read this to understand the evils, I already "get it". I don't need to read this for a class (I'm WELL past that!) And I certainly don't need to read this for pleasure, cause it won't give me any. I feel like my ears and mind need a thorough flushing with lye to remove the nastiness.

I'm going to go read Hiroshima now, where it's still a dark moment in human history, but where the author treats the humans as humans, and a book where I think I might actually learn something.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote