View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
spiralmind4
spiralmind4 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Question Proper way to backup library meta offline

I've done some quick searches here in the forums, and I've read a few other articles but I'm still a little unclear how to go about a PROPER backup of my library meta data and where exactly it's located.

I'm using Calibre on windows 8. I've located where calibre is saving data at c:\users\name\appdata\roaming\calibre and I've looked at the calibre folder inside programfiles (x86) -- i'm using the win32 version. I have a very large library and am expecting to see a db file someplace but am not finding it.

I read that the meta data is stored with the book itself inside the library folder in the .opf folder. Is this enough? How would one restore metadata from their library should a hard drive go down?

So, I'm wondering how to go about BACKING UP my metadata to store it OFFLINE in the case of a hard drive problem. I use the backup feature within Calibre frequently, but this is no good if a hard drive goes down.

My books/library itself is backed up (along with the .opf files). Is this enough? What is the proper way to backup the metadata offline so I don't lose days/weeks of meticulous meta data work?
spiralmind4 is offline   Reply With Quote