Thread: Kindle format
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
I own a Sony 505 and want to purchase a book only available in the Kindle format. I remember reading about converting the Kindle format somewhere on this site but of course now that I need that information, cannot locate it.
If an ebook is only available on the Kindle, it is somewhat likely to be in the TOPAZ format. This is much harder to convert for your Sony than the more common AZW format (which is identical to MOBI). The easiest way to strip DRM from AZW is to use Kindle for PC and unswindle.pyw. If you download the free sample, this script will tell you if it is TOPAZ (which it does not handle) - that way you don't have to buy the ebook to find out if it is TOPAZ.

As other have said, a DRM-free AZW is identical to MOBI and can be converted to ePub or LRF using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote