View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #105
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondrejandrej View Post
...to replace ASCII quotation marks with the proper Unicode quotes in Czech (example: „quoted text“). Many other languages use the same quotation marks. I use regular expressions to replace the opening ASCII quotation mark with a different character than the closing one. If I do it in Code view, the quotes in HTML tags are replaced as well (bad)....
I do this when replacing straight quote marks with proper curly quotes:

FIND: >"
REPLACE: >“

Replaces all quote marks after any > which usually denotes the end of an HTML tag.

Next, replace all " in front of a capital letter:

FIND: "([A-Z])
REPLACE: “\1

That should take care of most if not all quotes that start a sentence.

I then go on to replace the ending quote of a sentence with curly quote mark.

FIND: "</
REPLACE: ”\1

then replace all quote marks after a period, comma, question mark, exclamation mark:

FIND: ([.,?!])"
REPLACE: .”

I usually do a step through to check to make sure I got all the marks:

FIND: “(.*?)”

I then do a final step through to see if there are any straglers, this WILL find " marks in HTML tags, but not all of them by skipping any that start with an equal sign (classes) or ending in > end of class:

FIND: ([^=])"([^>])

It's a bit of work but MUCH less than stepping through each " mark and judging if it should be replaced. As all but the last two can "Replace All"

Last edited by Danger; 06-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.