View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
But so can somebody please explain to me why not a SINGLE company has come out with a truly (black-and-white) e-ink-based 'dumb', cheap 10' display with really only bluetooth (just so we can hook up a keyboard) and maybe wifi? Most of us DO have phones anyway with 3/4/and soon 5G that could easily serve as hotspots for the display... So people like me who want to write/code/... outside in the sun can easily rely on these other, far more mass-consumption, 'high-specs' devices (like mobile phones) to do some of the 'heavy lifting'. Also as things evolve.
I spend a lot of time on my Kindle, reading AND annotating, also outside. And that really works perfectly fine. Sure, the refresh rate is not the same as an LCD screen (or better), but for typing - it's perfectly fine. And so I have NO idea why Amazon is so 'tolerant' on DRM, but so restrictive on hacking, bluetooth, etc. But is seems that they won't budge on that. So why aren't other vendors jumping on that maybe not HUGE, but still quite significant market opportunity?
And so yeah, I will also want to see the reviews of this device. But I KNOW that eink is just fantastic outside AND is unrivaled in power consumption. And I VERY much doubt that this device will come anything CLOSE to the Kindle in price, daylight-visibility AND battery. I STILL think that vendors SHOULD be able to put together a MUCH more attractive package at that price point (330$) for the 10s of thousands (I'd reckon) users like me... I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote