View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

I rather liked the preface added to the newer editions. I felt this tongue-in-cheek biography gave a neat synopsis of the character while - more importantly - giving you a good idea what to expect. I found that it let me jump straight into the story and accept Lord Peter for what he was, when otherwise I think I would have been floundering for a while trying to work him out.
Funny, I disliked the preface and as I've read all the books and the preface itself before it's not as if I were spoiled, but I thought it gave away too much from later books. I also tend to dislike that kind of retconning on principle; I think an author has a lot more style to let an early book stands on its own merits, warts and all, rather than to try to shore it up and, worse, influence the way a reader reacts/responds to the book.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote