View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #151
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
No apparent fact-checking resulting in egregious errors.

Authors who include lots of description but who don't bother researching and fact-checking really piss me off. Unfortunately for me, I will often forgive the first few such errors, only to see them accumulate as I get deeper into the book. Like many readers, it can be hard for me to let go once I'm more than a chapter or two into the book.

Current case in point: I'm reading the first book in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. So far he's got the sun rising particularly early in the morning due to summer time (AKA daylight savings time in the US) -- wrong, these seasonal time zone changes shift daylight into the evening, resulting in later sunrises. Then there's an architectural history error: the house the de Luces dwell in is the successor to an Elizabethan one burnt down by a pro-Catholic mob. The current house is Georgian. The implication is that the house burning took place around 1720 or later (start of the Georgian period), yet there was little in the way of pro-Catholic uprising in England by then. It was far more concentrated a century or more earlier (e.g. gunpowder plot).

Other authors have plants blooming at the wrong time of year, or growing in places they don't exist. Or anachronisms like devices and foods unknown to the period they are writing about (potatoes in 15th century Europe). Or women behaving in ways that just weren't part of their social reality. I'm a feminist but that doesn't mean I think my 23rd great grandmother in medieval Ireland saw herself as possessing individual rights equal to those of her male relatives or the clergy.

If you are going to include detailed descriptions and your book is general fiction, not sci-fi or fantasy, please research your geographical, historical, and sociological settings. Errors in these aspects lead me to believe you are a sloppy writer, with too little editorial support. With so many books to read and so little time, I am not patient with writers who don't want to bother getting their facts straight. I am correspondingly impressed with sci-fi and fantasy writing where the author has created and maintained a reality that is internally consistent where it breaks with the facts of my own reality. This shows a level of discipline that inclines me to invest time getting to know the book's reality.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote