View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #140
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavorite View Post
It seems the first door to unlock is finding the method to get the dx(g) into download mode. I would prefer to use ATK for recovery, it seems more elegant than using the serial port, and I'm going to at least try a few key combinations in the hope of hitting the correct one. Then it would be down to grinding through the ATK manuals to hopefully find the right settings for the i.MX31.

However, I am glad the serial port method is available. Not a big problem to get to find the location on the pcb, per https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942 but I am not clear whether it's OK to use 3.3V levels or the 1.8V that the K3 needs.

Thanks for the advice, I feel like I have a direction and a road to follow...
Alright, I admit it, I have read parts of the manual.
It is 1.8v low voltage serial, same as the other Freescale parts.

Even before finding the "magic button" to enter downloader mode - -

Somebody set a standard for description:
"serial port method" is too general.
Since the serial port may be:

Used for manual interaction with the Kindle firmware (it is **both** the U-Boot port and the Kernel's console port) ;

Used for interaction with "down loader mode" of the Freescale part by :
The Freescale Advanced ToolKit (ATK) ;
The K3Flasher (once modified to include the i.MX31 setup) ;
Other, general purpose, serial communications *nix tools (like expect).

That is at least four methods, any one of which could lay claim to the phrase: "serial port method".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote