View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Thanks Juliette, that is interesting info. I think in my case, in particular, it isn't worth it to get the PRS-600 shipped from anywhere if I can buy it here for 300E or less. The guy at the local Sony shop says he will have the 600, and that way I save shipping and get service. I used to not care about service, but I have been burned having to return broken things and it is a huge pain. The price here is still a rip off - the PRS-600 with VAT should be about 250E (since they are all made in China or wherever anyway, shipping is irrelevant for the big vendors). A 20% markup!!!

But since I can't get it for that price in any case, I will just buy it here locally if they offer me that price. If not, I can order it from the Apolo people here in Spain, who will ding me for another 15E.

Point 3 is relevant, since if I buy it here in Europe (even from a Spanish reseller when Sony doesn't sell it here) I get a warranty, which is worth something. At least I assume they will support it here even if they don't sell it here. I guess I will have to look at the fine print.

And getting away without paying VAT is hit or miss. All things being equal, I might give it a try, but the warranty makes buying local a good deal. And I would get to hold it before I make the final decision, too.

The situation is different with the DR800, since that isn't available in Europe yet, but I just remembered that they don't support OS X, so I am not going to get that anyway.

I like the idea of going in on a bundle with other people. It is stupid that that needs to even happen - Sony ships it from China to the US, and then it gets re-shipped from the US to Europe because they won't sell it here for a reasonable price. Oh well.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote