View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #67
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quick info about firmaware versions

Quote:
Today Oracle has released Java 7.0 Update 40 (normal and embedded version) which now supports perfectly HardFP (two distinct versions for SoftFP or HardFP systems).
So now Oracle's java jvm can be also used on HardFP systems like Ubuntu or Kobo with firmware 2.6.1 or greater.
Thanks for the info!

The linux version installed uder chroot is independent of the Kobo firmware. I mean regardless the firmware version you can install both softfp and hardfp linux distributions and both will run fine. Once you do "chroot" the software will find correct (softfp or hardfp) runtime libraries under its chroot and will run fine. The reason why I installed softfp debian distrubution was the compatibility with mono (not the compatibility with Kobo firmware).

Quote:
Oh, and can I update the Kobo firmware to 2.8.1 or will it damage the whole thing because of the changed mmcblk0p2/3 thing?
But updating Kobo firmware is a different story. You can do it but the current boot menu will stop working as it uses armel phyton and latest Kobo firmware is armhf. You can update it but you have also upgrade python with armhf python (or replace my boot menu with something else like this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220256).

Changing mmcblk0p2->mmcblk0p3 must be done with care, anyway. Alternatively (which is better for future updates) you can move the swap partition one position to the beginning and replace mmcblk0p3->mmcblk0p2 in scripts. It will free you from thinking about this next time. Sorry for that. I've made wrong decision with keeping swap file on the end of the SD card. I thought it is a good idea (when frequent writes to swap file corrupt SD card you can just shrink partitions and still use the same SD card), but it is too much trouble when upgrading firmware and my SD card works didn't broke yet. Anyway, you can reverse partitions order if you want.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote