View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
At one side, digital is more convenient than "real" stuff.

I have hundreds of CD's stuffed into a small box as FLAC files. I still buy CD's, but I only do so to be able to create my own FLAC files. (For people who wonder: FLAC is a compression format that does not lose any musical information, as compared to MP3.)

I have hundreds of books stuffed onto my HDD as EPUBs.

I have thousands of pictures stuffed beside the EPUBs, as RAW or JPG files.

If I would have all of that as real CD's on shelves (let alone LP's; everything is in boxes in the attic right now), real books, and real photo albums, I'd need a house three times as big as I do now. The only reason why I still have DVD's and Blu-Ray discs sitting on shelves, is because I don't (yet) have the space needed to rip them. A single DVD takes around 8.5GB, while a Blu-Ray can go up to 30GB or so. I *could* rip and store the DVD's, but the Blu-Ray's are just too big.

On the other side, digital is also breaking down the world as we now it. No more CD-stores. No more bookstores. No more photography labs. No nothing.

Maybe the convenience of digital is making the world less rich and interesting to live in.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-21-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote