View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #100
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The kindle should be able to connect to any hotspot that does not use exotic authentication. Your cellphone hotspot is no exception, so not really much of a surprise. It should behave just like a wireless router.

Did it NOT work with previous firmware? If not, did you setup your cellphone hotspot the same way as before?
I couldn't connect my Kindle to my phone before. I updated the CyanogenMod version since last checking, so I'm actually not 100% sure that the new firmware is the reason.

Mobile (phone) hotspots are usually not the same as normal wifi hotspots. They are 'Ad Hoc' or peer to peer networks. Kindles are known to be fussy when dealing with some forms of WiFi. Firmware version 5.1 brought support for enterprise WiFi (confirmed) and I believe that 5.3.2 is capable of Ad Hoc WiFi.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch
This wiki page still lists the KT as incompatible with enterprise secured WiFi or Ad Hoc WiFi. (And there are also some old discussions in the forums about this.)
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote