View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #21492
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Just a note and an update to all those who gave some great advice on hiking the White Tanks.......

I've taken all your advice, except one.

I wear my knife on my belt, keep my key ( only take the car key when going) on my person, have the whistle around my neck (but under the shirt) have a flashlight, walkin stick and water. Cell phone is always charged. Besides, it takes great pics........

Have graduated from the easy trails, to the few difficult ones. Have not actually completed one of those yet, but have gained the confidence that I will eventually.

What have I learned?

1) Late afternoon hikes not such a good idea. While beautiful, its kinda scary coming back to the car after sunset, and watching 4 dirtbags in a crappy beat up car pass the parking, screech to a stop, and back up slowly and parking next to you.....even tho ther are plenty of unoccumpied spaces available. I figured maybe they just wanted to use the facilities, but no, one just got out and stared...please, believe me I know it wasn't my ravishing presence.......had to walk around them, giving a wide berth, and luckily had my phone in the back pocket, so calmly took it out and proceeded to call the SIL.......who wasn't answering, of course. But they didn't know that. The key was in the backpack, so I had to root for it, which is why I now carry it on my person....showed no fear, even tho I thought I'd drop a load then and there.
All I could think of is..........hey, If I'm going down, I"m takin as many as you arseholes with me as I can..........but I was being looked out for, found the key, and got the hell outta there.

2) NEVER hike on a holiday weekend, or any weekend if you want peace in the winter in Arizona. Last Saturday, took a difficult trail figuring I'd be alone.......but between the never ending horses, dogs and familys I either got run over or kept at a snails pace.

3) Hiking chases away the demons.......for a time.

So thank you, friends, for your great advice. Ive taken it all to heart, (well most of it) and if anything should happen, it won't be because I've been careless or stupid.
good for you! (but you're still not telling anyone are you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Wonderful news, DG! I'm happy that you can now explore Inner Space! Here's another small suggestion... Pick up a disposable space blanket (about $3) a small pocket-sized flashlight ( but get a good one,) and a Bic lighter. Spend 30 minutes on the net and learn how to make an emergency fire even in the rain, and practice once or twice. Personally, I also carry a small Fire Steel or a Flint and Striker as I don't trust a lighter to work when it gets wet. These take up almost no room and weigh just a few ounces.

Between these three, should you have to spend the night in the woods, you will be warm and dry, and have enough light to read for a few hours before you go to sleep! Enjoy!

Stitchawl
even a garbage bag works. when I do the "hug-a-tree" presentation for kids, that is what I teach
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote