View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Angry KindleGen INCREASES image file size?

I'm putting together an eBook with a lot of graphic content on the Kindle and need to keep the final file size below the 50Mb required to upload to KDP.

Now, the image content in the book is about 15Mb (if I add up all the file-sizes), but when Kindlegen 2.5 has build the book, the final file size is 53Mb.

Clearly, KindleGen is reprocessing the images. But what's going on here and does anyone know how to suppress the reprocessing?

Most of the files are under 63k, but some enjoy the new 127k limit. None of the images are larger than 127k.

I've tried various maximum image sizes from 525x700 down to about 520x650 (I forget the actual dimensions). I get a little but of a decrease in the file size - originally I had 75mb and got a saving after reducing the compresson rate and image dimensions.

Wondering if INCREASING the image quality and keeping the pixel size low might help - less noise in the final converted image?? ... to the photoshop batch processor.

Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote