View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. It looks like there's a problem with the PW firmware.

Not really. Even on the K3, only two alternative reading apps supported Arabic:

1. Duokan Lite [Not Duokan 2012] (RTL support was sketchy, for example it wouldn't open your Kalila wa Dimna epub.)

2. fbKindle with Matan's patch (slightly better RTL support, but no support for embedded fonts.)

(CoolReader doesn't support RTL text at all and won't support RTL text in the future according to the developers.)

If RTL support is important to you, you may want to return the PW and either get an older Kindle or better an iPad (or another reader that doesn't use the ADE engine).

You could also mention this issue in the Kindle Developer's forum, but hardly anybody there seems to be interested in localization issues.
Thanks for your informative post. I will keep the PW, because I like it and I'm in Saudi Arabia, it is difficult to return it back I guess. I have an iPad which is not good in e-reading for long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Doitsu: No issues with (both) your test files .
Great news, how can I get same result as yours, is your font hack compatible with PW now?

[Update]

I just connected the PW to my pc for the first time and copied both files of "Doitsu", and to my surprise, both files work fine. So, my problem was due to using amazon's "send to kindle" which send files first to the cloud then download them to the kindle. In this process, the books get the wrong orientation I believe.

I complied some of my ePub books with Kindle Previewer and I checked the output mobi files in the PW and all work fine now when copied with usb cable.

Last edited by kim1406; 10-18-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: update
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote