View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #118
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfarm View Post
Thanks DT,

I’ve never been one to shy away from a good stoush and I know how to cop it sweet for the first few smacks at least, having been married a couple of times now!

It started out as what I thought was a fairly simple query and people naturally filled in their own blanks, fair enough. I just wanted to know if any of the gurus knew a rough number so I wouldn’t fall foul in future coz Amazon had been struck down mute to my query ….. at the same time letting every one else know that “Unlimited” was really only 3 digits at best. And the rest is now History ……..

If it was really rhetorical, you wouldn’t be wanting an answer but I get your meaning…..

Easy enough. Just do a search of any middle of the road KU subject and you’ll get anything from 2 pages to 400 pages. Many won’t have a review to guide you and when you look in the quick view, if you’re lucky, you’ll get a TOC and a few introductory pages, with the “interesting” stuff being out of range. That’s if the TOC isn’t simply a I, II, III, IV, V with no descriptors. And the crappier titles are just leads to a sales pitch.

The “samples” are usually not much better than teasers at best.

I was looking for specific stuff (it would take a couple of pages to explain - then I’d get even more questions, judgements etc) but needless to say it was shotgun approach stuff, with the help of a local shiraz or 2 to help mellow me, I just pointed and clicked …….

By way of example again let me use recipe books. You want the world’s best burger, pizza, bread, sushi etc, whatever. There’s no way that you could keep the just 10 recipe books allowed on your Kindle “Unlimited” shelf.

So whaddya do? You binge, mark the books that have that interesting Wagyu meat patty, the genuine Neapolitana pizza sauce, that no knead sourdough recipe in it. And you go back to them when you want, just as it is explicitly provided for in the KU TOS.

You DON’T want to have read the flamin’ Alice Spring’s Vegemite and Honey Shrimp cocktail recipe or the famous Scottish Haggis and Herring Pizza pie before you can even access the next book!! That’s just silly.
Kudos for finding amusement in my oxymoron. It left the choice open to you whether you wanted to answer or not. Also my solution is really more suitable for evaluating novel style books. I would expect even clinical non fiction books about ptsd and depression to be written in such a way that a sample would give a fairly good yay or nay decision. If all you get is a table of contents and a foreword, it is useless. Not the sample, but the whole book. Without satisfactory sample and good synopsis chances are much lower to grab a doozie. ETA: To clarify, I meant to say that excluding books that have a sample you are not even willing to finish or a bad synopsis should yield a higher success rate in finding a good book.

KU only works if you can find enough reading material that you are willing to read or listen to that it justifies the cost of subscription. Also the effort to find reading material should not be too high. If you are willing to specifically look in KU to find what you want to read, then it may be for you. Fortunately for Amazon, not everybody that reads a lot is willing to be satisfied with KU. If that was the case, then it wouldn't be as successful as it is. If only above average readers get attracted to it it would fail. Scribd is a good example where they attracted too many above average readers to make them go under from the original plan. IIRC it only took two books on average per month for them to lose money in the beginning when they were practically unlimited.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 05-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote