View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2; Kobo Aura One; iPad Pro 9.7
I finished the book this weekend. I did learn some about history by researching new topics as I read. I was unfamiliar with Liberia and the American Colonization Society. I don't remember learning that in school.

My initial thoughts are I'm glad to have read it. I agree that it is not as good as other travel books that I have read. However, it was also better. For example, a few months ago I read a book by Agatha Christie about her travels with her archaeologist husband. Greene's book was much better and detailed at capturing the experience and the people than her book. I did have a sense of being present with Greene as he described his adventures.

I wish there had been more about his cousin. What a strong personality she must have been to endure their journey!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote