View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2; Kobo Aura One; iPad Pro 9.7
Thanks for the insights, darryl. I enjoyed the descriptions of nature. They seemed very realistic. I thought that the writing of the creatures alive in the bush added to the creepiness of the atmosphere and by contrast enhanced the stillness and oppressiveness of the heat. It still makes me shiver to think of the scene of the lizards and bugs crawling over the girls as they slept in the hot afternooon sun. I also thought it was an interesting timeline to set the story between Valentine’s Day and the Easter holiday, which included a transition from summer to autumn. The change in weather added to the post-disappearance mood at the college.

I thought the relationship between Mike and Albert was odd, and I think it was because of my misperceptions about class being similar to England, although it makes sense that they would have been more egalitarian. Thanks for the information on Australian society. I will have to look up the historical examples to learn more.

Now that I’ve finished the book I agree that it was a good idea by the publishers to leave off the last chapter, and I don’t know that I will read the missing ending. I was not expecting where the ending went however with the additional deaths. Since the author in the beginning raised doubts about whether it was fact or fiction, I liked how it ended with the police statements and a newspaper article which would put the “fact” more forward in your mind.

Lastly I liked AnotherCat’s statement, “The story did come across to me as a whodunit without a whodidit.” So, my overall takeaway is that the story was both satisfying and unsatisfying yet it was a fun read. I’m glad to have finally gotten to it.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 03-16-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote